SPECIFICATIONS FOR PLAYGROUND APPLICATIONS
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PLAYGROUND APPLICATIONS
PART 1 – GENERAL
WORK INCLUDED: Work in this section includes furnishing all labour, materials, equipment and services required to install all pour-in-place granular rubber surfacing. Itwill be completed to drawing details and specifications.
RELATED WORK SPECIFIED ELSEWHERE: Poured in place concrete, compacted crushed atone, asphalt, interlocking brick, geotextile fabric or cloth, marine plywood or other approved substrate & retaining walls.
SUBMITTAL: Submit full range of sample colors and finished available & sales literature.
DELIVERY AND STORGE: Deliver materials in manufacturer’s clearly labeled, unopened containers. Store and handle in a manner, which will prevent intrusion of foreign matter and will assure protection from weather. All resins and solvents should be stored at a temperature of not less than 0 degrees C (32 degrees F).
SCHEDULING: Co-ordinate the delivery of materials with the scheduled time of installation, to insure minimum storage time at the project site.
WARRANTY: All materials under this section shall be installed by a dealer authorized by the manufacture and shall be guaranteed by the manufacture against defects only as described in the manufacture’s warranty to the authorized dealer. The labour and installation warranty period for Playgrounds, Driveways or Commercial applications shall be One to Five years and the warranty for Residential applications shall be One to Ten years as specified and provided by the authorized dealer.
CONTRACTOR: The authorized dealer must have at least 25 applications of a similar size project and have a minimum of 3 years experience in the pored-in-place rubber safety surfacing industry.
JOB CONDITIONS: The air temperature is recommended to be above 5 degrees C day and night. Any temperature below this might affect the speed and quality of the installation.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
Granules – Pure vulcanized EPDM rubber chips ranging in size from 0.5 to 1.5 mm minimum dimension to 1-4 mm maximum dimension. EPDM rubber shall be of the highest quality (German Produced) and UV stable.
Binder – Resin (Chemical Family: Aromatic or Aliphatic binders, Isocyanate). Binder shall be 100% urethane and contain no TDI and not labeled Toxic. Accelerators may be used with aliphatic binders.
Primer – Aromatic or Alipahtic thinned with solvent or solvent free primer.
Shall meet or exceed current ASTM F1292 and CAC/CSA Z-614 for GMAX & HIC testing.
TESTING: The system should be tested to the following standard.
- Hardness: ASTM D-2444 94% recovery
- Water Absorption: ASTM D-530 +6.5%
- Ultraviolet Resistance: ASTM D-3137
- Fungal Resistance: no growth
- Bacterial Resistance: no growth
- Spread of Flame Resistance: ANSI/UL 790 (ULC=S107) Class A
- Accelerated: weathering no change after 2000 hours
- Freeze/ Thaw; no change after 30 days at minus 50 in a 24 hour period
PART 3 – EXECUTION
- When using “A” gravel base, it is recommended to be a minimum of 25mm thick to 100 mm thick once compacted.
- The base shall be compacted to 95% Proctor density. A slope of 1%-3% is recommended, but not more than 30% for this type of application.
- Ii is recommended that the base be covered with a geotextile fabric such as Terrafix 270R.
INSTALLATION: SBR or Re-Cycled EPDM Rubber Base
- Base mat thickness will vary, depending on the fall height compliance required.
- Certain fall zones may require a loose crumb rubber base in varying thickness without the use of resin.
- A crumb rubber/resin base layer shall be mixed in a mechanical mixer with a Aromatic urethane at a ratio of approximately 88/12. Base may range in thickness from 8mm up to 125mm.
- Materials need to be mixed for a length of time to allow proper coating of all rubber granules with Aromatic or Aliphatic resin.
- On installations where there is no retaining border such as concrete curbs or pressure treated timbers, rolled edges or bevels shall be implemented.
- Let base fully cure.
INSTALLATION : EPDM TOP COAT
- Using a short nap roller, roll onto base coat surface one coat of primer at approximately 50 square feet per liter.
- The selected EPDM colored granules for topcoat should be coated with resin in a mechanical mixer at a resin ratio of approximately 80/20. Topcoat should be troweled out to approximately 6-12 mm in thickness. It is recommended that the mixing of the topcoat be carried out with a electric vertical shaft mortar mixer to ensure consistency and assuring complete coverage of each granule.
- It should be noted that EPDM makes an excellent topcoat as the rubber is colored throughout the entire granule. It is not a black recycled granule mixed with colored urethane coating which will quickly show wear patterns and fading.
- Black recycled granule with colored urethane coating can be provided if requested by client.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- When using either urethane or solvent products, whether during the mixing or application, the wearing of protective gloves is essential. This will protect contact with the skin directly with the above materials. The gloves will be required to be changed regularly throughout the installation and sufficient quantities of same should be allowed for.
- Should any resin or solvent come into contact with the skin, this should be immediately washed off using suitable detergents and water.
- When troweling the product it is recommended that rubber kneepads or kneeboards be used.
- Read all material Safety data Sheets (MSDS) prior to installation. All relevant MSDS sheets should be on site during installation.
- Local laws and regulations in regards to health & safety should be observed at all times.
- Erect barricades or caution tape as required preventing inadvertent pedestrian traffic on the finished floor surface for a period of 24-48 hours.
- On large projects where access to the public is possible, barricades and signs must be implemented around the working area, again to avoid inadvertent traffic. This is more relevant on projects taking more than one day to complete.
Upon completion of work in the section, remove all tools, equipment, unused materials and debris from the site; clean the immediate area.